A/C Duct UV Systems

 

Unfortunately, the air in your boat that you breathe has a lot of noxious odor producing pollutants in it, such as viruses, bacteria, mold, mildew and allergens. Some are only annoying, others can make you sick.

For over a century we have known that exposure to ultraviolet light in the range of 100-280 NM (UV-C band short wave germicidal) disrupts the DNA of microbial life such as mold, mildew, bacteria and viruses, thus preventing them from reproducing, thereby effectively killing them.

We also know that titanium dioxide (TiO2) absorbs energy from UV-C light and transforms ordinary water vapor into hydroxyl and peroxyl radicals at the surface of the TiO2.

When UV-C light and a coating of TiO2 are combined, photocatalytic oxidation occurs. This process creates hydroxyl radicals and super-oxide ions. These highly reactive electrons aggressively bind with pollutants and effectively oxidize (or burn) the pollutant, breaking it down into harmless calcium nitrate and negligible carbon dioxide and water molecules.